What is a "Crossover" - and Other Common Building Terminology to Understand

Between title stage (the official record of who owns a piece of land; titled land is ready to be built upon) and settlement (when ownership of a property passes from a seller to purchaser), there are plenty of building terms that will pop up with which you may not be entirely familiar with.

When in doubt of a term - particularly, when it appears in a contract - always ask an expert (ie. your builder, developer, agent, conveyancer or lawyer).

In the meantime, we’ve compiled the top 10 most common building term explanations to get you started.

Easement: A portion of your land that other entities have the right to access or use, where required. Usually, this means occasional access to infrastructure for essential services maintenance or use for crossing to get to another property. Typically, you shouldn’t build any permanent structures over an easement.

Render: A mostly decorative layer of cement applied to the walls of a building. Render can also refer to a digital mock-up or illustration of what your home (or estate!) will look like.

Frontage: In real estate listings, the width of the block of land is measured from the front side (typically the street-facing side) of the block. When comparing similarly sized blocks of land, a larger frontage is typically considered better than a larger block depth.

Cornice: A cornice is a decorative moulding which is used to cover the joining point of walls and ceiling. Usually, a simple curve shape in modern buildings but can also be intricate, carved or tiered.

Kickboard: Usually timber or metal panels running along the base of cabinetry – often in “wet” rooms - that hide footings and provide a finished look.

Fixtures and Fittings: Fixtures are items that are permanently attached or built-in to a home, such as wardrobes or ducted heating. Fittings are removable items; though they can be attached via nails or screws. These may include items like mirrors, curtains or free-standing cupboards.

Setback: How far back from a curb, property line or other structure a building is required to be.

Crossover: Typically used in regards to your driveway area. This is the crossing section that allows you to enter your property across public land from the road or other property. You don’t own the crossover but you need clear access to it and usually council permission to alter it.

If you are ready to start getting familiar with home building terminology and secure your new home in Armstrong Creek, get in touch with our friendly sales team on 0427 308 543 or make an appointment to visit us on the corner of Barwon Heads Road and Central Boulevard, Armstrong Creek 3217.

March 2024
June 2023
May 2023
April 2023
March 2023
February 2023
January 2023
December 2022
November 2022
October 2022
September 2022
August 2022
July 2022
June 2022
May 2022
April 2022
March 2022
February 2022
January 2022
December 2021
November 2021
October 2021
September 2021
August 2021
July 2021
June 2021
May 2021
April 2021
March 2021
February 2021
December 2020
October 2020
September 2020
August 2020
July 2020
June 2020
May 2020
April 2020
March 2020
February 2020
January 2020
October 2019
September 2019
August 2019
July 2019
May 2019
April 2019
December 2018
October 2018
July 2018
June 2018
April 2018
Register Your Interest
Thank You
Thank you for registering your interest in our townhomes. By registering your details you will receive project updates, be advised of special events and the launch of future stages at Anchoridge. We look forward to speaking with you.

For more information talk to our friendly sales team, call 0427 308 543
Be first to find out about the latest news and land releases at Anchoridge.
*Mandatory Field. We respect your privacy and your personal information will be maintained in accordance with our “Privacy Policy”, by clicking submit you agree to this policy.